Please follow the below steps to connect to the Virtual Desktop using VMware Horizon View client:
- On a browser type: https://desktop.smu.edu.sg
a. The webpage will prompt you to download the appropriate VMware Horizon View client with a link. A sample screenshot is provided.
b. Click on the image (VMware Horizon View Client for Mac) to download the Client.
- Once you download, follow the instructions to install the VMware Horizon View Client on your Mac. When the install is done, launch the VMware Horizon View Client icon (see below screenshot).
- Type "desktop.smu.edu.sg" for the hostname and click "Continue" to enter to the next screen. The next screen for login credentials appears.
- Please enter your SMU Staff domain username and SMU Staff domain password (as shown below).
- The next screen provides you the option to connect to "user desktop", as shown below:
a. Double click on "User Desktop" to connect to the SMU Virtual Desktop.
- The next screen will take you to SMU Virtual Desktop where you can perform work related tasks. A sample screenshot of the Virtual Desktop accessing E-wise staff portal is shown below:
Note: The first login experience takes a while because the first time your user profile is being created on the SMU Virtual Desktop. Subsequent logins are bound to be much faster than the first time login.
- Shared Folder Access in SMU Virtual Desktop
You can access your SMU Staff shared folder in SMU Virtual Desktop. Once you login, click "Start" button and click on "Computer", you will see the following SMU Staff shared folders accordingly (H drive, I drive, and J drive will appear).
- USB Thumb Drive Access in SMU Virtual Desktop
i. Before you plug-in any USB device to your source desktop / laptop; move your cursor to the top of the Virtual Desktop, click on Connect USB Device -> Autoconnect USB Devices.
ii. After you check this option, please proceed to physically connect any USB device to your source desktop / laptop. Once you plug-in the USB device in the Virtual desktop, USB device appears as one of the removable storage under "Computers".
- Printing from SMU Virtual Desktop
i. Printers that you have installed on your local desktop / laptop will appear inside the Virtual Desktop as well. With this option, you can print to the respective printers accordingly.
ii. To see a list of mounted printers, click "Start" button and go to "Devices and Printers".
iii. To test print a document, you can open a Microsoft Word / PDF document from the Virtual Desktop. You will be able to choose your preferred printer accordingly.
- Logging off from SMU Virtual Desktop
i. The easiest way to logoff from your Virtual Desktop session, click on the red color shortcut link "Logoff SMU Virtual Desktop" from the Desktop main screen.
ii. Alternatively, you can click the "Start" button and click on "Logoff" (or) from the top User Desktop pane, click on "Disconnect from desktop"