The SMS Bulk Messaging Service allows SMU the capability and capacity to communicate rapidly with large numbers of students and staff, particularly in the event of an emergency.
IITS, together with its appointed vendor, supports the Schools and offices in the provision of two types SMS Bulk Messaging Services, as follows:
- One-way messaging: for use during crisis and emergencies
- Two-way messaging: as a teaching aid or for schools and departments to communicate with users and students.
The SMS Bulk Messaging Services as provided by IITS would include the following two types of services:
- Strictly for use during emergencies and crisis by SMU Emergency and Crisis Committee, Dean of Students, Schools and authorised departments of Registrar’s Office, OAA and Office of Human Resources and Faculty Administration.
- Strictly for SMU business use
- For use in teaching such as interactive SMS polls
- For use in response solicitation used during class or events
- Usage applicable to Schools, departments and Offices. Not applicable for faculty, staff or personal use.
- Users must have their own database of contact / mobile numbers.
- Usage is chargeable by subscription and cost of per SMS sent.
Allocated Cost (RCA)