SMU provides email accounts and email services to all authorised users of the University to improve communications and administrative efficiency. All current SMU faculty, staff, students, affiliates and alumni will be assigned an official SMU email address and account. SMU recognised departments and groups including student groups with specific needs for generic or departmental mailing addresses may also apply for such a department or group email account.
Provisioning and support for the SMU email service for faculty, staff and department accounts are provided by IITS that include the creation, deletion and management of email; protecting our users’ accounts with anti-virus and anti-spam tools and hosting and provision SMU Email web portal.
Provisioning and support for SMU students and alumni accounts are jointly provided by IITS and Microsoft Live@Edu. IITS provides support for the creation of student and alumni accounts, distribution and address lists and ensuring direct links and interface between SMU email service and Live@edu email services.
IITS also manages and administers the official SMU Email Address “book” of all SMU faculty, staff, students and alumni email accounts and the SMU official mailing or distribution lists. The latter is a feature in SMU email system which allows users to send email to a select group of recipients through a pre-populated list of official SMU email addresses.
- All SMU faculty, staff, students and affiliates will be assigned an official SMU email address and account. It is to this official email address that SMU will send all official communications and this will be the official address that will be listed in the SMU email directory or Outlook Address Book which IITS manages and maintains.
- Requests for departmental or group email accounts may be directed to the Technology Help Centre. Details such as the key personnel who would be primarily responsible for and to manage this department/group email account, justification for the application and authorised approval from the Head of Department must be furnished together with the application. Do allow at least 5 working days for the relevant IT approval and provisioning. For further details please contact Technology Help Centre email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- IITS reserves the right to remove and delete where applicable, any department or group accounts that do not have a single post or activity over a consecutive six-month period.
- Alumni Email Accounts. The university provides Lifetime email to all alumni. The service allows alumni to retain their username after graduation.
- Requests for the creation of SMU official mailing or distribution lists must be supported by valid reasons such as commonality of use, where it benefits all users in SMU or usefulness for such a list. Mailing or distribution lists for a limited group of users or specific uses may not be created and requesters are strongly encouraged to create personal distribution lists for such cases.
- Anti-virus and anti-spam tools are enabled for all emails entering and leaving SMU email systems.
- Current SMU email/mailbox storage quota:
- Full-time faculty and staff: 1000MB or 1GB
- Adjunct/Visiting faculty and contract/temp staff: 500MB
- Departmental / group: 500MB
- Undergraduate students/Alumni: quota from Microsoft Live@edu email platform
- Maximum allowable size of an outbound SMU email (including attachments) is: 20MB
Allocated Cost (RCA).