Microsoft 365 Email Protection refers to Microsoft's cloud-based filtering service that protects SMU against spam, malware, and other email threats. Such malicious email messages are detected in near real-time and diverted to user's junk mailbox folder or quarantined.
Who can use this service
Faculty , Staff and Students
Visit https://security.microsoft.com/quarantine to see emails that are quarantined.
Email messages sent to your junk folder can be viewed in Outlook application or Outlook Web Access, select Junk Email in the sidebar.
Learn More/ FAQ
1. How can I access emails that are in my quarantine
Login with your SMU account
Select the email and click on release.
Email will be sent to your mailbox.
*Always ensure you only release email messages that you have verified to be legitimate
2. How can I access emails that are in my Junk folder:
Emails sent to Junk can be viewed in Junk Email in the sidebar of Outlook or OWA
3. How long are the emails kept in Quarantine or Junk Folder:
For emails in Quarantine (https://security.microsoft.com/quarantine), emails are kept for 30 days from the received date.
Emails in Junk folder are kept for 30 days before automatically deleted.
4. How do I prevent certain email messages from being moved to the Junk E-mail folder:
Add the sender to your personal safe senders list. Right Click the message -> Never Block Sender
5. How do I manage my safe sender’s list?
Right-Click on any email message -> Junk E-mail Options
Select the Safe Senders tab
6. Where can I get more info on Outlook’s Junk email and quarantine features?
Outlook’s Junk email feature:
Microsoft 365 Quarantine feature: