Be certain to take a moment to consider your privacy settings when creating a channel. You have the option of deciding who sees what, and you should make a conscious choice here. You can decide to allow only members to send messages or share videos with you; to let others see your “channel” on MediaSpace if they have your e-mail address; and to share or hide “interesting statistics” about each of your videos with your viewers.
To create a channel
- Select My Channels from the User drop down menu.
- On the My Channels page, click Create Channel.
The Create a New Channel page is displayed.
There are two types of channels that are configuration based: Shared Repositories and Public channels.
- On the Create New Channel page:
Enter values for:
- Name – Enter the channel name to display on the Channels page.
- Description – Enter a summary of the channel content to display on the My Channels page.
- Tags – Enter a descriptive tag to use in searches.
(Optional) Select the privacy settings for the channel.
- Open – Membership is open, and non-members can view content and participate.
- Restricted – Non-members can view content, but users must be invited to participate
- Private – Membership is by invitation only and only members can view content and participate.
- Shared Repository - Membership is by invitation only. Members can publish content from this channel to any other channel according to their entitlements.
- Public - Anyone can view content (including anonymous not logged-in users). Only channel members can contribute content according to their publishing entitlements.
(Optional) Select the options settings for the channel.
- Moderate content (Media will not appear in channel until approved by channel manager.)
- Enable comments in channels
- Enable subscription to channel
If comments are enabled for a media item, the comments are displayed when the media item is accessed through a channel only when the Enable comments in Channels checkbox is selected. To completely disable comments for a media item, see Disabling and Closing Comments.
Depending on your entitlements, select the Categories that this channel will be associated with.
For example, the categories of the following instance of MediaSpace are as follows:
In the Create a New Channel Window the option to assign the channel to one of the categories is available:
- Click Save.
To add members to view and contribute to your channels
- Click on your name > My Channels from the upper right corner.
- Pick a channel, and click edit under the channel name.
- Click on the Members tab at the top of the page.
- Click the Add Member
- Enter the SMU user name of the person you want to add.
- Select an option from the Set Permission dropdown menu:
- Member: View Channel Content Only
- Contributor: View channel content and add media to the channel.
- Moderator: View channel content, add media to the channel, and moderate channel content.
- Manager: View channel content, add media to the channel, moderate channel content, and manage users.
- Click Save
NOTE: To include other media from Mediacast Galleries, please contact Mediacast administrators.