This FAQ applies to Faculty and Staff accounts.
Option 1: Sharing via unlisted links
Use case: For quick and easy ad-hoc sharing of media privately
After uploading, you can do the following:
1. Set permissions to 'Unlisted' and click 'Save'
2. Click on 'Go to media'
3. You can retrieve the URL for sharing either from the browser URL bar, or by clicking 'Share'.
If for some reason you were unable to set the media to unlisted during the upload process, you can also set it again while on the media page.
1. Click on the 'Actions' dropdown menu.
2. Click on 'Publish'
3. Select 'Unlisted' and click 'Save'.
4. Retrieve the URL for sharing either from the browser URL bar, or by clicking 'Share'.
Option 2: Sharing via a private channel
Use case: For consistent/repeated sharing with a specific group of SMU users. This is suitable for staff use cases. For faculty, you can share media with your classes via eLearn. You may contact the eLearn team at firstname.lastname@example.org if you require assistance.
To create the channel:
1. Create a Channel via https://mediacast.smu.edu.sg/channels
2. Click on 'Create Channel'
3. There are 3 privacy levels available for channels:
- Open - All logged in users can view and contribute content (contribution is not allowed for viewer-role users).
- Restricted - All logged in users can view content and only channel members can contribute content.
- Private - Only channel members can view and contribute content.
You can consider both Open and Restricted channels similar, in that SMU users can view your content. If you want to create a closed channel for a select SMU-audience, select 'Private'.
This means only users that you add as members to the channel are able to view the channel. If you select 'Open', the channel is visible to all logged in SMU users.
4. Do not select any of the 'Categories'. These are public-facing channels, where no log in is required to view the videos.
5. Click 'Save'
To add Members to the channel:
1. Click on 'Users'
2. Click 'Add Members'
3. Type in the user's SMU email address. If it does not appear, it means they have not logged into mediacast before. Please ask the user to log in at least once, and their profile will be automatically created. You can then add them as a member.
To add media to the channel:
1. On the channel page, click 'Add to Channel'.
2. You will then be shown the list of media that you have already uploaded. Select the ones you want to add via the check box on the left, and click 'Publish'.
3. You may have to refresh the page if the media you just added doesn't show up. Congrats, you're done!