In this section, we are sharing with you the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
If you have more inquires about Microsoft Teams, feel free to send it to email@example.com or contact us at +65 6828 0123.
Expand AllClose All
Please follow the below steps on a Windows computer. (Note: You need to do this once)
- Quit Microsoft Teams app
- Quit Microsoft Outlook app
- Launch Microsoft Teams app after a minute later
- Launch Microsoft Outlook app after a minute later
Please follow the below steps on a MacOS computer.
- Make sure the Office suite is Office 365; not Office 2016 suite as this cannot proceed to the required update version.
(please visit this link on how to install Microsoft Office 365)
- Microsoft Outlook is updated to latest version (above v.16.35)
(click Help > Check for Updates)
- Make sure your Outlook account is signed in using your SMU email account: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Restart Outlook and go to Calendar > Meeting. The Teams icon should appear in the ribbon.
Note: If you don't see the Teams icon, quit Outlook and restart the system.
We are currently working on this issue. Alternative,
- You can schedule a Team meeting via Outlook calendar.
- You can start a meeting immediate using "Meet now" button at the menu bar
Please visit this article for the instruction: How to conduct a meeting in Microsoft Teams?
Yes, we have enabled this feature to SMU students.
You may continue using Skype for Business if you and your department is currently using. For your information, Microsoft announces End of Life for Skype for Business on July 31, 2021, thus the transition application is Microsoft Teams.
You are encourage to use Microsoft Teams for your daily operation. We are reserving Webex for use by faculty and student for online training so not to add on to the load.
This app is still available to use.
The notification is set to Off. Please go to more option (...) on the top right hand corner of the app, and select Channel notifications and select to Banner and feed or Only show in feed.
No, the phone dial-in function (e.g. calling to mobile number or a phone number) is currently not available. However, if the external parties has subscribed to Microsoft Teams, you may initiate chat/audio/video call to external parties via Microsoft Teams using their email address. (NOTE: Some companies may not enable Microsoft Teams for external communications, under such circumstances, you will not able to communicate with the parties).
Some companies maybe using Microsoft O365 solution but their organisation has restricted this function. Therefore you are not able to communicate with the parties.
Yes you can.Follow the same steps as you schedule for meeting with SMU users by entering the external email address in the Outlook meeting invite.
- Schedule your meeting via Outlook using "New Teams Meeting"
- Send to your meeting invite to your invitees, which may include external users. The external users will receive a meeting invite email just like any SMU users. External users cannot join the meeting directly, once they clicked “Join Microsoft Teams Meeting” in the meeting invite, they will be asked to wait at the lobby, until being Admit by meeting organizer or any SMU users to join the meeting.
Cautionary note: if a meeting is involving external parties, it is recommended to request the external parties to turn on their camera during the meeting to ensure you are talking to the right person.
Click to this article and follow the recommended instruction to check the settings.
By default, any SMU meeting participants (Note: SMU domain users) can admit any external users to join a meeting and SMU meeting participants are also presenters. If you are the meeting organizer (Note: people who created the meeting invite), you can amend their rights accordingly.
- Click (or Ctrl + click) "Meeting options"
- Login via your browser to access the Meeting Options portal
Everyone – Every participant in the meeting can be a presenter and able to admit external user waiting in the lobby to the meeting;
People in my organization – Only SMU user (SMU domain users) can be a presenter and able to admit external user waiting in the lobby to the meeting;
Specific people – Only selected people in your Outlook meeting invite can be a presenter and able to admit external user waiting in the lobby to the meeting;
Only Me – Only meeting organizer (Note: person who created the meeting invite) can be a presenter and able to can admit external user waiting in the lobby to the meeting.
**Notes: participant rights can also be amended during the meeting.
You may click Show participants button on the menu bar located at the bottom of your screen during the meeting to display a list of participants of your meeting.
You can download SMU official background pictures that created by Office of Corporate Communications & Marketing.
Visit this article for the steps "During Teams video meeting, can I use my own photo as my background?"
You may upload your own picture.
- Save picture as *.png (jpeg works but image quality png works better).
- Resolution specification: -
- 1920 x 1080 pixels