Do this when: You need to have a common space/storage for external users to upload documents and files.
At a high-level, you"ll need to:
- Create Teams channel which is configured to allow external users.
- Add the external users as members
- Once you create a Teams channel, it will automatically create a SharePoint site group for that channel.
- You can use the SharePoint site to store documents via SharePoint in the browser or from the Teams channel itself.
Step by step instructions
Open your Teams app > Teams > Join or create a team.
Select Create a team.
Enter the Team name. Description (Optional but preferred). Next.
Enter the user email address/es to be added in this channel.
Once done, click Close. Please note that users will also receive a notification.
Wait for the Teams channel to be provisioned. Both Teams and SharePoint site will be created. After few minutes, you'll see General folder created by default.
That's it! Users can upload files in three (3) ways.
1. Teams: From Teams app, go to Teams channel > Files.
2. SharePoint: Get the link to the SharePoint site by clicking (...) > Open in SharePoint. Share the link to the users.
3. Email address: Get the email address of the Teams channel. Users can send files as attachments to this email address.
How to add remove members
Go to Teams, click on the 3 dots (...) > Manage team.
To add member, click Add member.
To remove members and guests, click x.