Changing Password on First Login
*Note : For new students, on your first login, you will be prompted to change your password for the first time.
Your password must meet all of the following conditions:
- Should not be related or be based on the user's account name.
- Contain "characters" of all 4 categories:
- Uppercase alphabet characters (A-Z)
- Lowercase alphabet characters (a-z)
- Arabic numerals (0-9)
- Non-alphanumeric characters (for example, !$#, %&)
- Contain eight (8) characters or more.
- You cannot reuse any of your previous SMU passwords.
- Not contain the user's account or parts of the user's full name that exceed two consecutive characters.
- For your desired new password, we strongly encourage you to use the Passphrases* to create a complex and yet simple to remember password to avoid being the next victim of cyberattack.
* Passphrases are a series of random words or a sentence. The more characters a passphrase has, and added with capital letters and symbols, the stronger it is and harder for cyber attackers to hack. Some examples of passphrases are:
Your password is valid for 180 days. You are advised to change your password before it expires.
Changing Password before Expiry
You can change your password prior to its expiration by following the steps below.
On your browser, go to https://live.smu.edu.sg/manage.aspx
1. You will see this page , on the drop-down menu, select : Student/Alumni
2. On the Username, put your SMU username only
(eg. if your email is email@example.com, then your username will be myusername )
3. On the Current Password, put the about to expire password.
4. On the New Password, and Confirm New password put the new password.
5. Then click Change Password button.
6. You may use the new password on your next domain login.
Changing Your Expired Password
Changing an expired password is a 2 step process: -
1) Reset your expired password
2) Change your newly reset password to your preference (as detailed above)
Reset your password immediately online here (applicable only if you have pre-registered for the service)
Reset your password via a email request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please provide the following details in your email for verification purposes: -
- Full Name :
- Phone Number (registered with SMU and/or current mobile number):
- *Student Card Number:
- SMU Email Address:
If you are unable to provide item 3* above, please provide any two of the items below.
- Date of Birth (MM/YYY)
- Personal email address (registered with SMU)
- Last 3 digits of your NRIC/FIN
We will reply you within 3 working days.
Reset your password at IT Help Centre (immediate reset of password) during office hours from Mon-Fri: 8:00am -6:00pm (Last walk-in 5:30pm).
IT Help Centre is closed on Sat, Sun and Public Holidays.